Champagne Roger Constant Lemaire - Origins
The history of the Maison Roger Constant Lemaire goes back to the late 19th century in Hautvillers, birthplace of Champagne and cradle of the Lemaire family.
As Désiré Lemaire, gardener and poet, purchases a vineyard in Hautvillers in 1890, did he know at the time that a family tradition was born and would continue to this day?
Roger Constant Lemaire, his grandson and son of Maurice Lemaire, was a visionary who understood the importance of assembling different grape varieties to create a quality champagne.
1930 is the official year in which the family champagne is produced for the first time. In 1945 sees the birth of Champagne Roger Constant Lemaire headed by Roger Constant. The initial vienyard will be extended gradually over the years to the surrounding vineyards.
Today with its 12 hectares of vineyards, Champagne Roger-Constant Lemaire, still family operated exports to several countries. A modernized production while retaining and observing its tradition. The vineyard are spread across several areas on the sunny slopes of the Marne Valley : Cumières, Hautvillers, Reuil, Binson-Orquigny, and Troissy Leuvrigny.
- 1860 : Désiré Lemaire is born in Chamery city. His father, Jean-Baptiste Lemaire, is already owner of a small vineyard around Reims city. The grapes were sold directly to the big champagne Houses.
- Circa 1890 : Désiré Lemaire was a winegrower, but he was also a poet : many poems have been written by this man of exceptionnal intelligence. He managed to extend his small vineyard in the prestigious land of Hautvillers through his marriage with Marie Godard. The family lived in Hautvillers. It is the beginning of the family tradition, and each generation will add to the cornerstone of the enterprise.
- Circa 1930 : His only son, Maurice Lemaire, takes the first steps in producing and selling his own champagne under the name of "Champagne Maurice Lemaire". His marriage with Berthe Jumel will enlarges the family farm that now produces its own champagne. They have three children, one of which is Roger-Constant.
- 1945 : Roger Lemaire Constant married Yvette Godbillon. This opportune marriage doubles the family's landholdings, which now officially becomes "Champagne Roger-Constant Lemaire". The family moved to Villers-sous-Châtillon.
- 1964 : Birth of the Cuvée Trianon, the first prestigious family trademark.
- 1966 : The brand "Cuvée Trianon comes a registered trademark.
- 1975 : Brigitte Lemaire, the daughter of Roger-Constant, married Gilles Tournant. Together, they embark on a path of producing a champagne of impeccable quality through a program of modernisation while retaining the traditional skills inherited from the family.
- 1980 : Birth of Champagne Rosé.
- 2001 : Launch of the ecological consciousness of the family, which now mark the new generation. It is no longer good enough just to make good wine, the wine making should also respect the environment. Start of the exportation to Belgium, Italy and Germany.
- 2002 : Use of marine algae, and soil organic certified "BIO" to fertilize the vines.
- 2007 : Abandonment of the production of Champagne Rosé and introduction of the "Rosé de saignée". Indeed, Gilles Tournant understood the interest to stop production of a "classic champagne" to produce a special champagne with exceptional color and taste, able to address lovers of fine champagne.
- 2008 : A new generation is coming. Guillaume and Sébastien are taking more and more responsibilities in the family, exportations are increasing : the products are exporting now to China and Japan.
- 2010 : Exportation in Switzerland, Sweden, Danmark, and Norway.
- 2011 : Exportation in Australia and Netherlands.
- 2012 : Beginning of exports in Austria. Move of the compagny to a new office at 50 rue de la Glacière.
2013 : Champagne Lemaire becomes available in Canada and the USA.